"The 1832/33 Ottoman Property Survey of Cyprus", hereafter "The Website", consists of software and information, specifically the front-end web pages along with material and information stored in our back-end servers and databases.
Geography Department of Harokopio University and SIF are the exclusive owners of all copyrights (database rights, intellectual property and industrial property rights etc.) over all the elements of the Website, including its software. All such rights are reserved and protected by the provisions of the Greek copyright laws and international treaties. The "The 1832/33 Ottoman Property Survey of Cyprus" website includes many elements of originality in relation to the selection of the material and the classification of its contents; therefore it qualifies as an original work of authorship which is protected by copyright laws. Please note that the development and operation of this website entails funds kindly provided by SIF and operational resources provided by the Geography Department of Harokopio University.
All access to information contained in the Website (including but not limited to digitised print material, texts, photos, images, video etc.) is permitted only for personal, educational or research purposes. If you author any public text (e.g. an academic or research paper, an article, a blog post etc.) or if you make any public announcement or any kind of presentation using information from this Website, you are obliged to cite this Website as your source. Please use the Citation page for instructions on how to properly cite this Website.
It is forbidden to copy, reproduce, republish, upload to other websites, transmit, upload to a server, distribute, perform to the public, modify, create derivative works and in general to exploit in any way, either wholly or in part, any element of this Website, unless you have been clearly given written permission to do so. In general, it is forbidden to use the Website for commercial purposes or for any other purpose not been explicitly permitted by the Geography Department and SIF.
Extraction and/or reuse of the whole or of a part of the contents of the Website are forbidden. The users of this Website must desist from any act which conflicts with the normal usage of this Website or which unreasonably confronts the legitimate interests of the Geography Department and SIF.
The trademarks, logos, brands, trade names, distinctive titles contained in the Website, registered or not, are owned by SIF or by third party business associates of SIF and are protected according to the law. Nothing herein shall be deemed to confer on the user a license to use the above trademarks and/or distinctive marks, any reproduction or use of which is strictly forbidden.
User-generated and User-submitted content
The Website offers the means for any content to be submitted to the Geography Department (either by filling the contact form or by sending e-mail). This content can be anything that can be transferred electronically (text, image, video, etc.) Any content that you submit to the Website must be your own original work and cannot contain, incorporate or reference anything that is owned by any third party or entity or would require the consent of any third party or entity in any jurisdiction (this restriction includes the depiction of individuals or any personal identification). By sending the content you declare and warrant that it is not illegal, offensive or defamatory and you explicitly grant to the Geography Department and SIF the irrevocable and unlimited permission to use the content and the right to upload the content to the Website without royalty, payment or other compensation. If the sender wishes for proper attribution to appear on the Website, they should include the relevant information in the form or their e-mail. The sender should be aware that the content may appear or be posted to social media platforms by the Geography Department or users of the Website. The Geography Department and SIF reserve the right in their discretion to decide if the content is usable and publishable for the Website. The Geography Department and SIF may publish, review, modify or remove all or part of the content submitted at their discretion.
The Geography Department makes every effort to ensure that the Website is accessible for 24 hours a day. However, the Geography Department shall not be liable if‚ for any reason‚ the Website is unavailable or if the connection is interrupted or faulty. The Geography Department does not guarantee that the Website will be secure. Please confirm that your electronic equipment is free from viruses and in excellent condition.
Quality of information posted and limitation of liability
The Geography Department will do everything in its power to ensure the quality of information disseminated through the Website. However, the Geography Department and SIF do not fully guarantee the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information due to the great volume and their particular characteristics. The Website provides its information on an “as is” basis; therefore the Geography Department and SIF shall not be liable for any direct or indirect loss which may arise from information which is inaccurate, incomplete or is infringing third party rights.
The SIF and the Geography Department (including its employees / contractors which operate the Website) decline any and all liability for any loss (direct or indirect) which may arise as a result of your access, use or inability to use the Website.
The Geography Department and SIF reserve the right, at their discretion:
- to make alterations to the Website and its contents from time to time, without prior notice, even if the access to the Website is temporarily interrupted and
- to disable access to the Website, either wholly or in part, and/ or to remove any archive, element or information contained within.
The above limitations of liability apply to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Prohibited uses of the Website
All users must not use the Website in any manner, which at the discretion of the Geography Department and SIF, is improper and / or violates Greek or EU laws.
Prohibited uses of the Website include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts which violate the copyright and industrial property rights of SIF over the Website, its software, trademarks, logos, distinctive titles etc.
- Acts which violate either the privacy right of a third party (such as the unauthorized disclosure of personal data) or other third-party rights.
- Any unauthorized access or attack to the Website, such as introducing viruses or other malicious material to Geography Department's servers or electronic systems.
The Website contains links to external resources and websites operated by third parties. The Geography Department does not have control over these websites and therefore it is not responsible for the availability, content, advertisements, goods, services or any other material contained on or available through external websites.
- Harokopio University, Geography Department:
- GDPR: General Data Protection Regulation Act.
- Data Controller: Data Controller means the natural or legal person who (either alone or jointly or in common with other persons) determines the purposes for which and the manner in which any personal information are, or are to be, processed.
- Data Processor: Data Processor means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller.
- Data Subject: Data Subject is any living individual who is using our Service and is the subject of Personal Data.
1. Principles for processing personal data
Our principles for processing personal data are:
- Fairness and lawfulness. When we process personal data, the individual rights of the Data Subjects must be protected. All personal data must be collected and processed in a legal and fair manner.
- Restricted to a specific purpose. The personal data of Data Subject must be processed only for specific purposes.
- Transparency. The Data Subject must be informed of how his/her data is being collected, processed and used.
2. What personal data we collect and process
For registered users, the Geography Department of Harokopio University collects several different types of personal data for various purposes. Personal Data may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City
- Web app cookies for web application settings and session management
- Google Analytics to improve our services.
3. How we use the personal data
Geography Department uses the collected personal data for various purposes:
- To provide you with services
- To notify you about changes to our services and/or products
- To provide user support
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our services
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
- To allow content entry and management
- To enforce our legal rights
- To comply with any legal requirements to which we are subject
4. Legal basis for collecting and processing personal data
Geography's Department legal basis for collecting and using the personal data described in this Data Protection Policy depends on the personal data we collect and the specific context in which we collect the information:
- Geography Department needs to perform a contract with you
- You have given Geography Department permission to do so
- Processing your personal data is in Geography's Department legitimate interests
- Geography Department needs to comply with the law
5. Retention of personal data
Geography Department will retain your personal information only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Data Protection Policy. Geography Department will retain and use your information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our policies.
6. Data protection rights
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. If you wish to be informed what personal data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us. In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or to delete the information we have on you
- The right of rectification
- The right to object
- The right of restriction
- The right to data portability
- The right to withdraw consent